This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://colitisninja.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
le$>

#HAWMC: Day 8, "Things Remembered"


CHALLENGE: Things Remembered. What is an item you have kept with you that reminds you of an important time in your life? Whether it was a good day, a stressful time, or a happy moment... why does this item remind you of that period of your life? #HAWMC

When I think back to items of the past that I hold dear, I am reminded of several things...

1) My wedding band.
2) My Bible.
3) Pooh Bear.

The wedding band and my Bible really need no explanations... so my focus today is on my Pooh Bear. Pooh Bear has been with me since I was two years old. The two of us have been through a lot together.

He consoled me when I had to give up sucking my thumb. Through the birth and death (which I didn't fully understand) of my brother, Bryan, when I was four. He was there for me for the death of several beloved pets and my best friend, Jessica, when I was 9. There was a period of time when Pooh Bear disappeared. I didn't think I'd ever see him again, but one day, Dad showed up with him and asked if I wanted him.
I excitedly jerked him from my father's arms and pulled the bear close. He looks pitiful. His fur is all matted up. The yellow color in the fur has turned green from all the years of love he's seen. There's a patch on the back of his head, covering the melted place where my cousin set him too close to the space heater. He's wearing a GMC shirt that I had crudely sewn to his body to cover the holes where our Chow Chow had attempted to murder him. One of his ears is stretched out because that's what I held onto while I carried him. When you turn the crank for his music box it jumps and rings, but doesn't play the old familiar "Winnie the Pooh" tune. It hasn't played in years, but I still try now and again just to be sure.

Breakups, big tests, big moves, and my diagnosis. This bear and I are inseparable. Nothing can replace him.

After my surgery, while I was still in recovery, the nurse asked me if there was anything I would like to tell my family. Being on morphine and completely out of it, I told her "I want my Pooh Bear."

The nurse came to my family to give them an update and when she said the words, "She says she wants her Pooh Bear." Dad jumped up and ran out to my husband's car to retrieve the bear. He handed it to the nurse who returned to me and placed it next to me. Pooh Bear, in short, is a symbol of comfort and love. Whenever I look at him I'm reminded of my childhood... back to happier times... when I was disease and worry-free!  I love that silly ole bear... Do you have any treasured items that you can't do without? I'd love to hear about them in the comments below!

Labels: , ,