This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://colitisninja.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
le$>

One Month Later: An Update

WARNING: Some of my family and friends read this blog. I just want to warn those with weak constitutions--this post contains "gross" details. If you do not like details of the aftermath of surgery or those related to chronic illnesses, do not read this post.



Hello friends! Just thought I'd give all of you an update since my takedown surgery on July 15th. Yesterday, August 15th marked 1 month since my takedown and I am currently out of town (more on this later!).

A couple of weeks ago I had a checkup with my surgeon. It was earlier than planned because the incision that he fixed (the place where my abscess was) appeared to be getting infected. As it turned out, my incision was just irritated from where my pants line fell. He told me that he wanted me to keep it covered, but that he also wanted me to let it get some air. I've started cleaning this incision twice daily keeping it covered during the day and letting it breathe at night. So far it's worked well.

The site where my stoma was is healing up nicely, too! 

My surgeon told me that he wanted me to practice kegels, "hold it" for as long as I can and take Imodium four times a day. One before every meal and one before bed at night. I was going 6-10 times a day, so he wanted to slow things down.

The reason for the kegel exercises is to strengthen the sphincter muscles down there to avoid having any accidents at night (I've had three of these to date). The reason for holding it as long as I can is to stretch out the j-pouch. So far it's going well. I've started wearing diapers at night so I don't have to wake my husband and change the sheets.

Since I've been taking the Imodium, I've been going 3-5 times a day which is great! It's also helped with the "butt burn." The cramping in my intestines has eased up a little. Most of the pain comes from gas moving into my j-pouch. 

I have not been very brave in trying new foods since my surgery. I'm trying to give things a chance to heal up a bit.Tonight I am having a "party." I am calling it my "Colon Expulsion Extravaganza (plus my birthday party--YES. Today is my birthday.)." I am out of town (at an undisclosed location) for the celebration. Today, I plan to have a cup of coffee (my first in years!). I also hope to try a few "new" foods and maybe have a glass of Mascato (my favorite!!). We shall see how it goes...

Anyway, there's an update. I hope you're all doing well and hanging in there. Hope to have photos from my celebration for next week's post!!! Take care and God bless!

Labels: , , , ,