This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://colitisninja.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
le$>

"Butt Burn"

Today, I wanted to talk to you about a little thing we all like to call "butt burn." As a Crohnnie, UCer or J-Poucher, we all experience this bit of unpleasantness. 

First, it is important to define what butt burn is and why it occurs. Butt burn is what one experiences after having multiple bowel movements in a short amount of time. The most irritating types of bowel movements are those that involve loose stools that may contain stomach acid, or digestive enzymes. This in addition to frequent wiping causes butt burn.

So, how does one find relief? First, I would suggest you find a way to slow things down a bit. Depending on what your body can handle and what your doctor says is okay, this can be done in various ways. I like to take two Imodium for fast relief. I have also found that peeled potatoes and peeled apples are helpful. Remember, you always want to follow the advice of your doctor and use your best judgment (only you know what your body can handle!).

I would also like to turn your attention to Calmoseptine. A friend of mine turned me on to this stuff and I've heard several IBDers sing praises over it! It helps to heal skin and protect it from further irritation. Plus it has menthol in it that provides instant relief.

Another thing that I have found to be helpful is Cottonelle Flushable Cleansing Wipes. I have found these to be much more effective in getting things clean than regular toilet paper. Not only that, but they are gentler and help prevent butt burn. I never go anywhere without these!!!

I've also found that sitting in a shallow bath with two cups of Apple Cider Vinegar helps ease the pain. When the burn is particularly pesky, I do this twice a day. I have heard that some people do baths with just water. Others like to use Epsom salt. I suggest you try different things and see what works best for you.

Finally, something I have heard works very well are bidets. Bidets can be used in lieu of toilet paper and cleansing wipes. It can be attached to your sink or toilet to wash your nether regions after each bowel movement. Amazon.com also sells hand-held bidets. I have recently invested in one of these and it works very well! A substitute for this might be a spray bottle filled with warm water. After using, you might pat yourself dry with tissue. 

Anyway, there are my tips for butt burn. Remember I am not a doctor or a medical professional of any kind so please use this advice at your own discretion. And please consult your doctor before you take any kind of medication. Until next time, take care and remember you're always in my thoughts and prayers!

Labels: , , , , , , , ,